Since 1997, the Bangor Region YMCA has assisted the Maine cancer community in reclaiming their lives from a cancer diagnosis through many programs of our Y, which have evolved through the years.
Our team of caring professionals will help you focus on three major areas to improve your health:
- LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a FREE evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors (at least 18 years old) reclaim their health following a cancer diagnosis.
- Meets two times per week over a 12-week period for 60-minutes
- Focuses on cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Includes a full membership to the Bangor Region YMCA for the 12-week period
- Facilitated by LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Certified Instructors
- Alumni opportunities are offered upon graduation with a YMCA membership
- LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors (at least 18 years old) reclaim their health following a cancer diagnosis.
- Stay Strong Program is the next phase for cancer survivors after completing our LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program. This free program for YMCA members is designed to help survivors continue to improve and maintain the benefits of LIVESTRONG at the YMCA.
- Cancer survivor swim time in Means Pool
- Wellness Consultation included with a YMCA Membership
- Strong Connections at the Y using group activities, education, and mindfulness to increase social connections
- Two Annual Cancer Survivorship Retreat, one for women and another for men, at our Y’s Camp Jordan
- Support Group and Counseling Services Referral Resource
- Access to our Y’s Cancer Library & Information Resource
- Camp Hope, an annual one-week program at our Y’s Camp Jordan for children living with cancer and their families
For more information, email Mark Rice-Schoon, Healthy Living Specialist, or give him a call at 207-941-2808.
Together, We Can Help You Thrive!
The Bangor Region YMCA is proud to be a member of The Association of Maine Cancer Support Centers (AMCSC), a network of nine organizations providing cancer-related support.
Dempsey Center (Lewiston/South Portland/Dempsey Connects)
1-877-336-7287 / dempseycenter.org
Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center (Ellsworth)
(207) 664-0339 / bethwrightcancercenter.org
Cancer Resource Center of Western Maine (Norway)
(207) 890-0329 / crcofwm.org
Christine B. Foundation (Bangor)
(207) 573-9026 / chrisbfund.org
Dean Snell Cancer Foundation (Brunswick)
Healthy Acadia (Calais/Machias)
(207) 255-3741, ext. 103 / healthyacadia.org
Maine Cancer Foundation
(207) 773-2533 / mainecancer.org
Sarah’s House of Maine (Holden)
(207) 989-1683 / sarahshouseofmaine.org